*Due to coronavirus concerns, all flute lessons are currently being taught online. I offer online lessons via FaceTime or Skype. A tablet device or computer is recommended as this offers the best sound quality and a large enough image for us to communicate effectively. For inquiries about starting online lessons, please contact me.
I specialize in preparing highly motivated students to achieve their flute-playing and musical goals. Whether that is becoming first chair in your school band, making the All County band, successfully auditioning for All State, or returning to playing as an adult, I can help you make those dreams a reality. My students regularly receive the highest ratings at solo-ensemble contests, earn seats in state and regional honor bands, and are seated "first chair" in their school band and orchestra. I encourage my students to embrace as many performance, contest, and audition opportunities as possible and I help students develop a clear practice plan to achieve their goals.
• A highly individualized approach to teaching and challenging each student. Every student has their own unique strengths and weaknesses as a growing musician, and my job is to develop each and every student into a strong and independent musician as well as foster a love of making music.
• I insist that students always play their best while maintaining a positive, fun, and encouraging learning environment.
• Develop a clear, full, beautiful tone, along with a discerning ear for detecting tone issues. Students learn to listen closely to their own playing. Developing a good ear is key to becoming a successful musician.
• Instill confidence by building strong technique from day one, with an emphasis on proper posture and hand position.
• Emphasize excellent practice habits and practice methods. Since most of a student’s practice time is spent without the teacher, it is important that students know how to approach practicing to make efficient use of practice time.
• I help students grow to be independent musicians by encouraging students to make interpretive decisions and take musical "risks." Students are always encouraged to ask questions and be curious about music. Music theory and music history is integrated into lessons to help students gain better context for the music they are learning.
• Students are taught how to properly care for and clean their flute.
What you can expect from me:
• A passion for teaching and playing the flute. My mission as a teacher is to share my love and enthusiasm for the flute with my students. This is informed by over eleven years teaching experience, and two degrees in Flute Performance from two of the nation's premier music schools, the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
• Extensive knowledge of the best flute repertoire and method books
• Varied teaching styles to fit the needs of students with different learning styles
• A comprehensive understanding of the inherent difficulties of playing the flute that allows me to help students struggling with issues such as tone production and quality, rhythm, dynamics, and difficulties with fingerings
• A positive and encouraging learning environment
Details and Rates:
Audra's flute lesson studio is located in the Rodgers Forge neighborhood, just south of Towson University in Baltimore. I have openings at my home studio Monday, Thursday, and Friday. Now teaching Wednesdays at The Music Space in downtown Towson, and Tuesdays at Music and Arts in Laurel.
Flute lessons available for beginning to advanced students from age 9 to adult. I welcome adult beginners and more advanced adult amateurs! Piccolo lessons are available for more advanced students.
Rates: $30 for half hour lesson, $45 for 45 minute lesson, $60 for 60 minute lesson
*Sibling discount available
"When I met Audra, I had largely given up on finding a flute instructor I could work with after a 25-year break from music. When we met, she warmly welcomed me and encouraged me to follow up with her. I was anxious about the first lesson, but to my surprise, I had a wonderful time. I wasn’t embarrassed about my inconsistent tone or fumbling. Audra was positive and met me where I was. She helped me create a mature program that’s been absolutely enjoyable - not full of shoulder and arm-aching finger exercises - but musical and fun to practice. My tone has improved dramatically, and I play with much more confidence. I now occasionally play in Church and in small ensembles. My daughters love to play with me. Most importantly, I look forward to every week’s flute lesson - a gift to myself of time and music. Anyone contemplating returning to the flute but afraid to do so should contact Audra Ziegel. She’ll help you rediscover and enjoy giving yourself this gift of music!"
~Adult student of 3 years
"My daughter has been a student of Ms. Audra’s for 4 years. Ms. Audra is an exceptional teacher. She has developed my daughter into a confident and accomplished musician. I appreciate how Ms. Audra presents my daughter with opportunities to audition for various bands and competitions. My daughter always enjoys her lesson time. During the lessons Ms. Audra is kind, yet knows how to challenge my daughter musically so that she improves and practices on her own each week."
~Parent of student, age 13